Department of Mathematics
Center for Scientific Computation and Mathematical Modeling
University of Maryland, College Park
Applied Mathematics, Statistics, and Scientific Computation (AMSC) program
Burgers Program for Fluid Dynamics
office: 4129 CSIC and 4413 MATH
The University of Maryland
4146 CSIC Building #406
Paint Branch Drive
College Park MD 20742-3289, USA
email: jacob-at-cscamm-dot-umd-dot-edu or jacob-at-math-dot-umd-dot-edu
My research is focused on the mathematical analysis of both deterministic and stochastic PDEs arising in fluid mechanics and plasma physics. I am currently specifically interested in understanding mixing, turbulence, and the stability of coherent structures in 2D and 3D fluid mechanics at high Reynolds number and Landau damping-related kinetic effects arising in plasmas in the collisionless limit.
My research is currently funded by an NSF CAREER grant.
For information on the courses I am currently teaching and on past or present reading groups I am involved in, see the below links.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Alex Blumenthal, Samuel Punshon-Smith Lagrangian chaos and scalar advection in stochastic fluid mechanics . arXiv:1809.06484. 2018
- Jacob Bedrossian, Pierre Germain, Benjamin Harrop-Griffiths Vortex filament solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations . arXiv:1809.04109. 2018
- Jacob Bedrossian, Fei Wang. The linearized Vlasov and Vlasov-Fokker-Planck equations in a uniform magnetic field . arXiv:1805.10756 2018
- Jacob Bedrossian, Michele Coti Zelati, Sam Punshon-Smith, Franziska Weber. A sufficient condition for the Kolmogorov 4/5 law for stationary martingale solutions to the 3D Navier-Stokes equations. arXiv:1711.03668 2018
- Jacob Bedrossian, Michele Coti Zelati, Vlad Vicol Vortex axisymmetrization, inviscid damping, and vorticity depletion in the linearized 2D Euler equations, arXiv:1711.03668 2017
- Jacob Bedrossian Nonlinear echoes and Landau damping with insufficient regularity, arXiv:1605.06841 2016
- Jacob Bedrossian, Pierre Germain, Nader Masmoudi Dynamics near the subcritical transition of the 3D Couette flow II: Above threshold case , arXiv:1506.03721 2015
- Jacob Bedrossian Suppression of plasma echoes and Landau damping in Sobolev spaces by weak collisions in a Vlasov-Fokker-Planck equation, Annals of PDE. arXiv:1704.00425 2017
- Jacob Bedrossian, Pierre Germain, Nader Masmoudi Dynamics near the subcritical transition of the 3D Couette flow I: Below threshold case , Mem. of the AMS. arXiv:1506.03720 2015
- Jacob Bedrossian, Siming He Suppression of blow-up in Patlak-Keller-Segel via shear flows, SIAM J. Math. Anal.. arXiv:1609.02866 2016
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nader Masmoudi, Clement Mouhot Landau damping in finite regularity for unconfined systems with screened interactions , Comm. Pure Appl. Math.. arXiv:1604.05783 2016
- Jacob Bedrossian, Michele Coti Zelati Enhanced dissipation, hypoellipticity, and anomalous small noise inviscid limits in shear flows, Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal.. 2015 arXiv:1510.08098
- Jacob Bedrossian, Pierre Germain, Nader Masmoudi On the stability threshold for the 3D Couette flow in Sobolev regularity , Annals of Math.. 2015. arXiv:1511.01373.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Vlad Vicol, Fei Wang The Sobolev stability threshold for 2D shear flows near Couette , J. Nonlinear Science. 2016. arXiv:1604.01831
- Jacob Bedrossian, Michele Coti Zelati, and Nathan Glatt-Holtz Invariant measures for passive scalars in the small noise inviscid limit, Comm. Math. Phys.. arXiv:1505.07356 2015.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nader Masmoudi and Clement Mouhot Landau damping: paraproducts and Gevrey regularity, Annals of PDE. arXiv:1311.2870 2013.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nader Masmoudi and Vlad Vicol Enhanced dissipation and inviscid damping in the inviscid limit of the Navier-Stokes equations near the 2D Couette flow, Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal.. arXiv:1408.4754 2014.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nader Masmoudi Inviscid damping and the asymptotic stability of planar shear flows in the 2D Euler equations, Publ. Math. l'IHES. arXiv:1306.5028 2013.
- Jacob Bedrossian Large mass global solutions for a class of L1-critical nonlocal aggregation equations and parabolic-elliptic Patlak-Keller-Segel models . Comm. Part. Diff. Eqns.. arXiv:1403.4124 2014.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nader Masmoudi Existence, Uniqueness and Lipschitz Dependence for Patlak-Keller-Segel and Navier-Stokes in R2 with Measure-valued initial data. Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal.. arXiv:1205.1551 2012.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Robert V. Kohn Blister patterns and energy minimization in compressed thin films on compliant substrates. Comm. Pure Appl. Math.. arXiv:1304.0284 2013.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Inwon Kim Global Existence and Finite Time Blow-Up for Critical Patlak-Keller-Segel Models with Inhomogeneous Diffusion, arXiv:1108.5301. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 45.3 (2013): 934-964.
- Jonas Azzam, Jacob Bedrossian, Bounded Mean Oscillation and the Uniqueness of Active Scalar Equations, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc.. arXiv:1108.2735, 2011
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nancy Rodriguez Inhomogeneous Patlak-Keller-Segel models and Aggregation Equations with Nonlinear Diffusion in R^d. Disc. and Dyn. Sys. B.. arXiv:1108.5167, 2011.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Intermediate asymptotics for critical and supercritical aggregation equations and Patlak-Keller-Segel models. Comm. Math. Sci. arXiv:1009.6187, 2010.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Global minimizers for free energies of subcritical aggregation equations with degenerate diffusion Appl. Math. Lett.. arXiv:1009.5370, 2010.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nancy Rodriguez, Andrea Bertozzi, Local and Global Well-Posedness for Aggregation Equations and Patlak-Keller-Segel Models with Degenerate Diffusion, Nonlinearity, Vol. 24, No. 6 (2011)
- Jacob Bedrossian, James H. von Brecht, Siwei Zhu, Eftychios Sifakis, Joseph M. Teran, A virtual node method for Poisson interface problems in irregular domains , Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 229, Issue 18, Pages 6405-6426 (2010)
- Christophe Geuzaine, Jacob Bedrossian, Xavier Antoine, An Amplitude Formulation to Reduce the Pollution Error in the Finite Element Solution of Time-Harmonic Scattering Problems, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 4, 2008
- Vlad Vicol and I ran an MSRI summer school titled "Incompressible Fluid Flows at High Reynolds Number"; guest lectures were also made by Roman Shyvdkoy. Videos of the lectures as well as written notes can be found here.
- Jacob Bedrossian, Nader Masmoudi Asymptotic stability for the Couette flow in the 2D Euler equations , arXiv:1309.2035 2013 [Expository note on arXiv:1306.5028] To appear in Appl. Math. Res. Expr.